The current Wards Island Bridge
, a pedestrian bridge connecting the island to Manhattan was built in 1951. It was designed to give access to Wards Island Park to East Harlem
, which has few public green spaces. In 2006 the original walkway of the Triborough Bridge Queens leg, alighting in Randall's Island, was demolished and a shorter, wider and less steep one built to connect to Wards Island.
Most of Wards Island Park was closed in early 2008, pending renovation.