Created 24-Mar-14
Modified 26-Mar-14
Visitors 12
55 photos
***The 74-room tudor revival mansion sitting on a 118-acres was built in 1916 by industrialist J.E. Aldred.

After he went bankrupt in 1942, Ormston (the name of the estate at the time) was taken over by an order of Basilian monks. They have lived there ever since.

Built for John Aldred{public-utilities magnate} c.1913-1918 dark grey fieldstone Tudor by Bertram Goodhue{Fort Hill}. Landscaping by Olmsted on 117 acres. 74-rooms with 2 gatehouses, stable and farm complex. Along with neighbor William Guthrie{Meudon} Aldred purchased and then razed half of Lattington "to get the view we wanted"! Listed on The National Register of Historic Places, is now Saint Josaphat's Monastery.
***

Categories & Keywords
Category:Architecture and Structures
Subcategory:Churches
Subcategory Detail:
Keywords:MONASTERY, aldred, basilian, church, cove, glen, home, home, josephats, monastery, monks., ormston, religious, st

st josaphats 309_6732st josaphats 309_6737st josaphats 309_6740st josaphats 309_6743st josaphats 309_6746st josaphats 309_6752st josaphats 309_6754st josaphats 309_6756st josaphats 309_6757st josaphats 309_6759st josaphats 309_6762st josaphats 309_6764st josaphats 309_6766st josaphats 309_6768st josaphats 309_6773st josaphats 309_6775st josaphats 309_6776st josaphats 309_6778st josaphats 309_6784st josaphats 309_6787